If i. Had cold sores as a child does that mean I have hsv-1 for life?

Yes. Hsv-1 remains in your body once you get it once, however it becomes dormant - it goes to sleep - in one of your spinal nerves. Sometimes, the virus can become reactivated, and cause more cold sores, but other times it remains dormant for life.
Stays in your system. It does stay in your system after the first infection, but depending on the strength of your immune system may or may not reappear again. Some people get them repeatedly, some occasionally, and some lucky folks, never again. For those affected more frequently, they might want to consider lysine supplements.