What is the likelihood of breast cancer if it runs within the family?

Usually 2. First degree relatives warrants a genetic work where a formal family pedigree is done, as well as genetic testing forknown molecular risks: brca i and ii. When you worry, ask to be referred for genetic testing and counseling.
High. One of the most significant risk factors for developing breast cancer is a family history of breast cancer. This is increased with first degree relatives with breast cancer ie sister or mother or father the brca gene mutation can be passed to a person from a mother or father and can increase the lifetime risk of developing breast cancer up to 85%.