What are signs that a lump could be breast cancer?

Signs+symptoms. The signs and symptoms of breast cancer include: a lump or thickening in or near the breast or in the underarm that persists through the menstrual cycle; change in the size, shape, or contour of the breast; blood-stained or clear fluid discharge from the nipple; change in the feel or appearance of the skin on the breast or nipple (dimpled, puckered, scaly, or inflamed). New lump - see your doc.
Signs. A lump is a lump, but a lump that is associated with skin puckering or dimpling, nipple inversion, bloody nipple discharge, or palpable bulky underarm lymph nodes is highly suspicious for cancer.
Hard to Tell. It is very difficult to distinguish a benign breast lump from a cancer by exam alone, for patient and doctor. In general, cancers tend to be rock-hard, 3-dimensionally round, and can feel "fixed" within the breast. Depending upon age and physical examination findings, we will often get a mammogram and ultrasound to help evaluate a breast lump, sometimes culminating in a (nonsurgical) biopsy.