I'm getting braces in a few weeks and I am wondering what the procedure will be like and how it will affect me in the coming months?

Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: It is easy

Getting orthodontic appliances put on is in this modern age, a very simple procedure.
Generally will take less than 1.5 hours, almost painless, just a bit annoying. As an adult it takes a little longer to adjust to the braces, but in general your discomfort will be gone in approx. 1 week. Each subsequent appointment will mean a bit of tenderness, but by 6mo in, you will be completely accommodated.

In brief: It is easy

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: After placement

During the process of braces you will return every month or so for adjustment visits.
The arch wires are adjusted or changed and this will cause some discomfort handled with advil (ibuprofen) or motrin. You may have other devices added to your braces such as headgear, elastics, miniscrews, or other appliances. Ask your orthodontic specialist for details as to what to expect.

In brief: After placement

Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. Crystal Twynham