What are the causes of a child to go from good eyesight to needing glasses?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Eye growth

The eye can compensate for errors of refraction in many cases from infancy to young age.
But as the body grows, so does the eye and eyeglass needs commonly develop. Also the child can in this circumstance have the sophistication to realize he/she does not see so well. See your pediatric ophthalmologist to evaluate this.

In brief: Eye growth

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Multiple causes

There are many causes to that.
"simple" things like nearsightedness or farsightedness are fairly common. Those are considered refraction problems. There may be other, more serious causes - cataracts, glaucoma (less common in children), systemic diseases etc. I'd recommend a comprehensive eye exam to determine the cause.

In brief: Multiple causes

There are many causes to that.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Cindy Juster