What are the chances of my child becoming an alcoholic if I am?

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine

In brief: See below

Higher than if you were not.
There is a genetic component that may account about 50%. Also if you are active in your disease currently, he learns from you, your emotional status, how you regulate your feelings, etc. These are areas active alcoholics seriously lack. However recovering alcoholics that learn a new way of life such as in aa, remarkable transformations can take place! there is hope!

In brief: See below

Higher than if you were not.
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Blixt -- I really like what you shared here. In my experience, communication issues are profound in alcoholic families -- and kids don't learn at home how to connect authentically with others. It leaves them vulnerable to additional patterns leading to alcohol or other substance abuse. Very courageous of an alcoholic parent to do 12-step work and stop the buck -- so kids can learn too.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Impossible to say

Alcoholism has both genetic and environmental components, and is not like hair color where you can say that if both parents have brown eyes, what the chances of a brown eyed child would be.
If there is a strong history of alcoholism in your family, your child (when older) should strongly consider avoiding using alcohol at all. Your avoiding any alcohol is most important in raising your child.

In brief: Impossible to say

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Jonathan Jassey