4 doctors weighed in:

Do I need to worry if a child drinks a salt water gargle?

4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Pediatrics
1 doctor agrees

In brief: No

If he drank it in small amounts, it shouldn't be a problem.

In brief: No

If he drank it in small amounts, it shouldn't be a problem.
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Thank
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Family Medicine
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Probably not

Depends on the volume and concentration of the salt water and was this just one tiem. It usually takes a child of some size to be willing and able to do salt water gargles.
If one time, and not over a teaspoon of salt was used and if the child was without majory medical problems, i would not be too concerned. Otherwise, call your pcp, poison control and seek care.

In brief: Probably not

Depends on the volume and concentration of the salt water and was this just one tiem. It usually takes a child of some size to be willing and able to do salt water gargles.
If one time, and not over a teaspoon of salt was used and if the child was without majory medical problems, i would not be too concerned. Otherwise, call your pcp, poison control and seek care.
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Cindy Juster
Board Certified, Pediatrics
32 years in practice
2M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors