Is whole milk good for children between 11-13 years old?

Dr. Scott Katz

In brief: No

American heart association guidelines recommend low fat or no fat dairy products for children 2 years and older.

In brief: No

Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

While with the rise of childhood obesity and vascular diseases being the leading cause of death, it's been recommended that starting at age 3, children may be switched from whole to 2% milk to prevent hypercholesterolemia.
Though, it may have some degree of credibility, i highly doubt that the amount of whole milk ingested by 11 to 13 year old children, will be significant. Whole milk is o/w safe.

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
2 comments
Dr. Cornelia Franz
My own recommendation for milk consumption is that after age one children do not need more than 16 oz of milk a day. I also encourage parents to offer rice milk, almond milk, and even coconut milk as alternatives...and rotate them. The rGH (recombinant growth hormone)and pesticides in cow milk has many parents concerned. So mix it up.
Dr. Michael Blum
I suggest to all my patients the switch from whole milk to skim or 1% at age two. I also caution that the volume should be less than 24 ounces per day. If the volume is more; there is a chance of developing anemia due to lack of iron found in solid foods. If the protein intake is too much milk, the kids will not consume the food protein.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey