I've recently quit smoking two months ago. I have shortness of breath daily. I am 31 years old and smoked fifteen years. Will the feeling go away?

Pathology

In brief: Seek another cause

At your age and having stopped smoking (congratulations), you should not be short of breath and your having smoked is not the cause.
You need to get a good physical exam focused on your heart as well as your lungs.

In brief: Seek another cause

2 comments
Dr. Linda Gromko
Congratulations on quitting. I think smoking is the single most difficult addiction to conquer. While I think many people have more cough after they quit, I agree that shortness of breath should be evaluated. Get a good exam, so that you can pursue other healthy habits, such as exercise, without worry. Again, good for you. This is one of the most important things you'll have ever done for your own health! LGromkoMD
Dr. Susan Woods
Agree about a physical evaluation, including pulmonary function tests (breathing tests). 15 years of smoking can be a cause, contributing to asthma or other types of lung problems. Stay off cigs for good! :-)
Dr. Susan Woods

In brief: Yes if youre healthy

There are multiple causes of shortness of breath, and smoking may have been a cause.
You should gradually increase exercise and stamina by making sure you have good diet and sleep. Other causes include asthma (also can be from smoking), heart problems (less likely in your age) or anxiousness. Great job quitting - stay off. Get medical help if it doesn't improve.

In brief: Yes if youre healthy

Dr. Susan Woods
Dr. Susan Woods
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology