How long should I nurse for in one sitting?

Dr. Lisa Roberts
In brief: About 10-15 min/side
In the first days after delivery, it will likely take a while for your breast milk to come in.
Once your milk is in, most babies will effectively be able to nurse about 10-15 minutes per breast for each feeding. As your baby gets older, he/she may become more efficient & able to get the milk out faster than that. Also, some babies nurse from only one side at a time- if so, 20 minutes may suffice.

In brief: About 10-15 min/side
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Jennifer Thomas
In brief: Til the baby is done
The length of time at the breast is not a good indicator of how well the feeding has gone.
A baby can spend an hour at the breast, but if the latch is poor, may not have transferred much milk. They could also spend 10 minutes and get all they need. Babies love to hang out at the breast and breastfeeding is so much more than food. I'd stop watching the clock and enjoy the time with the baby.

In brief: Til the baby is done
Dr. Jennifer Thomas
Dr. Jennifer Thomas
Dr. Jack Hinkle