Are there health conditions affecting newborns that I should be aware of?

Dr. Zeda Amaya
Babies are discharged a lot earlier than they used to be in times past, and now visits typically occur within a few days after discharge from the hospital to catch newborn problems.
It's your baby's doctor's duty to check the major areas of concern such as the heart, lungs, etc. You are not expected to know these medical conditions; just be observant and communicate anything that seems abnormal.

Dr. Zeda Amaya
Dr. Zeda Amaya
To me the scarriest relate to some of mothers germs that can transfer to baby during labor & delivery and hide for a while before infecting the baby.
This may show up as a fever >100.4, change in feeding, or fussiness. It is good not to expose your newborn to a lot of people in the first 6-8 wks when a fever might be a terrible germ or uncle freds cold. Keep your followup apts in this period.

Dr. Pamela Lindor
It is very important to keep your doctors visits with the pediatrician as scheduled.
We screen for many common health conditions in the the first few months. Shortly after birth, the hospital also sends a blood sample to the state lab on all newborns. This test helps to detect cases of rare, but serious, inherited diseases. Results will go to your pediatrician.

Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Jonathan Jassey