I went to get a sleep study and my respiratory effort related arousal were high but ny ahi was 1 but was still was diagnosed with osa. Please explain.?

Dr. William Culviner
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: RDI was high

Rera is factored into a number called the rdi (respiratory disturbance index).
Ahi is the apnea-hypopnea index, meaning you stopped breathing or had a 50% reduction in airflow with desaturation(drop in oxygen) an average 1 time per hour. When rera is added, you get a rdi score and this was elevated. Rera's are events where there is resistance to airflow but not enough to call apnea or hypopnea.

In brief: RDI was high

Dr. William Culviner
Dr. William Culviner
Dr. John Feola

In brief: R/O OSA

OSA can be suggested by history and physical.
Excess snoring/daytime sleepiness/apneic episodes/ aM headaches. And the Exam obesity/small oral airway/collar size>18. The definitive test is a PSG with split night/CPAP titration. I would request copy of sleep study and get a second opinion if you are not satisfied with the options. You are young CPAP can be difficult to tolerate. ENT FOR UPP EVAL.

In brief: R/O OSA

Dr. John Feola
Dr. John Feola
Dr. Harvey Shiffman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Arousals affect

The arousals will disrupt your sleep cycle when having difficulty breathing during your sleep, even if they dont "wake" you up.

In brief: Arousals affect

Dr. Harvey Shiffman
Dr. Harvey Shiffman
Dr. Eric Weisman