How can I tell if my child is getting dehydrated?

Dr. Stefania Lima

In brief: Close watch

Generally, if a child has decreased urination, dry mouth or tacky tongue, fatigue, it's best to have the child evaluated asap.

In brief: Close watch

Dr. Stefania Lima
Dr. Stefania Lima
Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Many signs

If a child is getting dehydrated, one can notice absence of tears if crying, a darkening of the urine (tea colored), decreased urination and output, an increase in the pulse rate, a "sinking in" or softness of the eyes, doughiness of the abdomen and tenting of the skin and decreased sweating.
A lay person may not know some of these signs or symptoms. Call or see your doctor if concerned.

In brief: Many signs

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt