Are children tested for diabetes?

Dr. David Roos
In brief: Infancy
The youngest child in my practice with new onset diabetes was about 8 months old.
She had recurrent yeast diaper rash and had elevated sugar levels in her urine and blood. Any child can be tested for diabetes with a urinalysis and a blood sugar level, so technically a newborn can be tested for diabetes. Diabetes is very uncommon in young infants.

In brief: Infancy
Dr. David Roos
Dr. David Roos
Dr. Jeffrey Unger
In brief: No screening tests
Screening for diabetes in children is not routinely done.
However if one is symptomatic with thirst, weight loss, hunger, frequent urination, bed wetting or fatigue a random blood glucose and a1c should be done.

In brief: No screening tests
Dr. Jeffrey Unger
Dr. Jeffrey Unger