What's the best way to know if my child has the swine flu?

Dr. Jeffrey Min
In brief: Fever, achy muscles
The swine flu is a new h1n1 strain of the influenza virus that became an epidemic in 2009.
Symptoms include high fever, body aches, cough, sore throat, runny nose, congestion, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people will get vomiting and diarrhea. To know if your child has it, there is a rapid antigen test for the flu that can be run on a nasal swab but this is not specific for the swine flu.

In brief: Fever, achy muscles
Dr. Jeffrey Min
Dr. Jeffrey Min
In brief: Lab test available
H1n1 flu was an offseason flu providing a lot of story material for competing news outlets.
Deadly for some, it had a case fatality rate much less than regular seasonal flu & most cases were less intense. My state health dept quit accepting samples for confirmation a while back.A few specialty labs can test for it from a nasal mucous sample.My office test confirms flu not the strain.

In brief: Lab test available