How can I get a wider mouth?

Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: A palete expander

We use these sometimes as part over overall orthodontic treatment.

In brief: A palete expander

Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. David Schleimer
I respectfully disagree: In reality a palatal expander ( a very useful orthodontic adjunct) is used when there exists a palatal cross-bite or narrowing or the upper dentition with regards to the lower dentition. If one expands the maxilla where no cross-bite exists, then you in effect create a cross-bite. This would then necessitate widening the lower dentition, which due to the non-orthopedic possibility of mandibular expansion (other than surgery), lends itself to improper angulations of the lower teeth outward or possibly causing periodontal breakdown or relapse. Decades of research in orthodontics has shown that dental expansion in the mandibular canine area almost always results in those tooth positions re-establishing their original width. Case selection is very important, width for widths' sake is not an indication for maxillary expansion.