Could you tell me what homeopathic remedies would you use for a baby with an ear infection?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Motrin
There are no alternatives to treat ear "infections.
" We tend to be aggressive with treating ear infections here in the US... with antibiotics and tubes - not a bad thing. In Europe, ear infections are treated with Motrin/pain control. The problem with repeat infections is the effect on speech/language development. Put your fingers in your ears - this is what it sounds like with an ear infection.

In brief: Motrin
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Robert Choate
In brief: None
Homeopathy does not treat infection.
Remedies produced by serial dilutions and "striking energy" are not any more effective than placebo. I apologize in advance for sounding so negative, but allowing an infant to remain in pain while pursuing worthless treatment is anathema to me.

In brief: None
Homeopathy does not treat infection.
Dr. Robert Choate
Dr. Robert Choate
Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: Otitis media
With all due respect to my colleagues and their responses, classical homeopathy does have some research basis in treating otitis media in children.
Remedies are prescribed individually, not in a blanket way for the "standard" baby with an ear infection. A couple of common ones are pulsatilla and belladonna. For more information, please see: http://homeopathyusa.Org/home/eb/otitis-media.Html.

In brief: Otitis media
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: There Are None
While there are some homepathic, safe pain relief strategies, there are no cures of the infection.
We do know that a percentage of ear infections will resolve spontaneously with no therapy of any kind, most need antibiotics. The problems are the complications including hearing loss, mastoiditis, and meningitis.

In brief: There Are None
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Marc Rosenthal
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: NONE
Ear infections were among the most common causes of death in the middle ages due to not having antibiotics available to them. Without effective treatment, complications of ear infections include: meningitis, permanent hearing loss, brain abscess, and death.
Even with antibiotics, we occasionally still see some of these occur. Please weigh the risks/benefits carefully.

In brief: NONE
Dr. Marc Rosenthal
Dr. Marc Rosenthal
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine