What should I do to help my baby with the pain from an ear infection?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Motrin

You can use Motrin and tylenol (acetaminophen).
You can use them together since they do not interact with each other. You can also use a topical anesthetic (auralgan) - by prescription only. This should only be used if your baby does not have a rupture of the ear drum.

In brief: Motrin

Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Kristen Stuppy

In brief: Pain relievers

You can give a pain reliever, like Acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
Also put a few drops of olive oil (yes, from your kitchen!) in the ear as long as there are no signs of pus draining out and your child does not have ear tubes. Put the oil on a cotton ball and squeeze a few drops into the ear. The oil puts pressure on the ear drum, which often helps until the pain reliever kicks in. Don't heat it!

In brief: Pain relievers

Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine