What are good treatments for dementia?

In brief: Not much, but

Medical foods might be useful, like cerefolin-nac, for early cognitive loss, or axona, a substitute fuel to help think better. The cholinesterase inhibitors seem a modest benefit, but seem to work better if used in combination with namenda, (memantine) and of course, a warm, supportive, organized environment with loving attention seems to keep issues under control.

In brief: Not much, but

Dr. James Ortman
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Good care, a few me

Most important is a good and caring environment, whether that be at home, in a group home, or in a nursing home.
There are very few medications that are helpful. These include donazepril(generic, and a few similar and not yet available generically) and nemenda. These are not cures but have been shown to slow the process. The expense seems worth it if it can delay nursing home placement.

In brief: Good care, a few me

Dr. James Ortman
Dr. James Ortman
Dr. Jeff Seaman
Disease modifying agents are in development and finally seem to have overcome earlier hurdles.
Dr. Bassam Amawi

In brief: Treatment fDementia

I agree with other physician , based on my experience combining Aricept and Namenda (memantine) can be a good combination in addition to frequent reorientation and correcting any underlying metabolic abnormality.

In brief: Treatment fDementia

Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Bassam Amawi