My period is late but I'm not pregnant. Could I still get pregnant if I have unprotected sex during this time?

Yes.. You are never "safe" from pregnancy if you do not use protection. Ovulation can occur late and if you are not protected with some form of birth control then you can still get pregnant. Don't take chances if you are not ready to be a mother.
Yes. If you have menstrual cycles more than 30 days apart, your ovulation is delayed. Would recommend using contraception till the perid starts. If no period in 40 days repeat pregnancy test and see your doctor.