Can beets change my bm color? I had some beets in a salad and notice my stool is leaching red.

If you havent eating beets or other dark red foods in a week and your stools are still red then have your md check for blood.

Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Dr. William Harris

In brief: Absolutely!

Beets and red kool-aid turn stool red.
Fruit loops turns stool green. Pepto bismol (bismuth subsalicylate) and iron tablets turn stool black. You may even see blue stool after eating a cake with a lot of very blue frosting. If it is a food, the stool color change will only be the one time. Worry about any stool color change that continues -- blood, cancer, hemorrhoids, inflammation can cause big trouble!

In brief: Absolutely!

Beets and red kool-aid turn stool red.
Dr. William Harris
Dr. William Harris