What is a good way to determine when a child should get contact lenses?

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology
In brief: When they are mature
If your child shows responsibility handling his/her glasses, he/she understands the potential risks of contact lens abuse, and you feel that he/she will use them properly, it may be time.
Your next step would be to meet with an eye doctor who can also gauge your child's ability to follow proper contact lens guidelines.

In brief: When they are mature
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Stephen Hamilton
Ophthalmology
In brief: Know your child
It really depends on the maturity level of the child.
Improper lens care, poor hygiene, and overwear can lead to permanent vision loss. I would only allow under very close supervision and would not allow extended wear (sleeping in lenses).

In brief: Know your child
Dr. Stephen Hamilton
Dr. Stephen Hamilton
Dr. Jonathan Jassey