I used tanning beds in my teens- in total probably about 60 times over a 5 year span. I'm now 27. What is my risk for melanoma? Does it ever decrease?

Dr. Jeremy White
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Increased risk

You are at increased risk for skin cancer in general.
A lot of skin cancer results from prolonged uv exposure during youth. The only thing that you can do at this point is protect your skin with sunscreen, hats, and clothing for now on and get regular skin cancer checks by your dermatologist.

In brief: Increased risk

Dr. Jeremy White
Dr. Jeremy White
Dr. Scott Sattler
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Melanoma is bad

Melanoma risk is only partially related to your history of sun and 'artificial' uv exposure - the rest of your risk profile is composed of your genetics, smoking history, part of the world you grew up in.
In truth, most of us get the sun exposure that puts us at risk in our childhood years. Tanning certainly does not help matters. In summary, its difficult to quantify your risk.

In brief: Melanoma is bad

Dr. Scott Sattler
Dr. Scott Sattler
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Many variables

There are many variables in determining cancer risk.
Certainly that level of exposure increases your risk. The risk never diminishes. Once radiation hits your cells, the damage is done. Your genetics & myriad variables will mitigate your risk. No more tanning beds. Be careful when you go out in the sun. Consult your local dermatologist for proper exam & follow up to identify & track skin lesions.

In brief: Many variables

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
2 comments
Dr. Joseph Cohen
Half of our lifetime UV exposure occurs by the end of our teen years. Early protection is efficient and life changing.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Thanks for your thoughts
Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: High

Using a tanning bed before the age of 35 increases your risk by 75%.
Use sunscreen, limit your exposure to uv radiation, and have regular skin examinations performed by a dermatologist.

In brief: High

Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Jonathan Jassey