When after you have a baby do you need to wait to have cosmetic surgery?

Dr. Rebecca Gray

In brief: 6 weeks

Most surgeons will probably suggest you wait at least 6 weeks before undergoing cosmetic surgery.
You want to make sure you have fully recovered from your delivery; including correcting any anemia that resulted and waiting for any swelling associated with the pregnancy to resolve.

In brief: 6 weeks

Dr. Rebecca Gray
Dr. Rebecca Gray
Dr. David Stapenhorst
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: 6-12 months

The time to wait to have surgery is very dependant on the surgery that you are having.
One of the factors is where you are at in regards to your goal weight. I recommend that my patients are within 5-10 pounds of their goal weight prior to undergoing body type cosmetic surgery. Timing for breast surgery is also related to how long you plan to breast feed.

In brief: 6-12 months

Dr. David Stapenhorst
Dr. David Stapenhorst
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Depends.

The answer to your question will depend on exactly what type of surgery you are contemplating.
For example, patients who are contemplating breast or body contouring surgery should wait at least six months before proceeding. Other guidelines would include reaching a long-term stable weight and being away from breast-feeding for at least 3 to 6 months.

In brief: Depends.

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Andre Berger
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Depends

Cosmetic surgery should not be done while breast feeding.
Full recovery from delivery should occur before doing cosmetic surgery, including recovery from c-section or other surgical procedures done during delivery. Otherwise there is no specific time indication. However, a new mother should not undergo elective cosmetic surgery if it will prevent her from giving full attention to her child.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Andre Berger
Dr. Andre Berger
Dr. Shontae Buffington