Is there really a risk of having an unhealthy baby after 38?

In brief: A bit

The rate of chromosomal abnormalities increases as the mother ages, but a 38 is still less than 1 in 100.

In brief: A bit

Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson

In brief: Matter of perspectiv

Pregnancy involves a lot of emotional capital and you can over think it.
Each pregnancy has about 4% risk of an unexpected outcome.That includes simple or complex birth defects, chromosome defects,prematurity, newborn with illness,etc. As you reach 38+, you add about 1% to your risk of a chromosome defect.If your health is otherwise okay, I don't see this as much of a change.

In brief: Matter of perspectiv

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham