Why does my child get separation anxiety?

Dr. Faryal Ghaffar

In brief: Separation anxiety

An infant starts to think for the first time around 6 months that he/she is separate from the mother/father. An infant get anxious when he/she realizes that the parent/caregiver is not around.
This stage is not permanent. It phases out between 18 -30 months.

In brief: Separation anxiety

Dr. Faryal Ghaffar
Dr. Faryal Ghaffar
2 comments
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Good answer! The first self-image is a body image. Finding your feet & implicit memory @ 5 mos. are milestones that lead to stranger anxiety
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Richard Levenson
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Anxiety in Children

In a school-age child, I am of the opinion that "some" parents communicate a sense of their own anxieties to their children.
Sensing something is very wrong, children want to remain by their parent's sides, feeling that they can either make things safe or they will feel safer with them. It is complicated in theory, but treatment for children can be very successful.

In brief: Anxiety in Children

Dr. Richard Levenson
Dr. Richard Levenson
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Object permanence

Around 4-7 months babies develop a sense of object permanence, which means they can tell when something is gone (and this includes their parents!) and don't yet have a concept of time, so they don't know you will return.
To minimize this anxiety try leaving your child with familiar caregivers such as grandparents or a babysitter they are used too.

In brief: Object permanence

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb