What is the difference between elfa and ELISA test for hiv. Are both of them accurate, lest say testing after 1 year of risky behaviour?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: ELISA - initial test

Enzyme-linked immunosorbent asay (elisa) is the first one used to detect infection with hiv; if positive, it should be repeated for confirmation.
Likelihood of the test being false after 1-3 months of exposure very unlikely. Enzyme linked fluouresecent assay (elfa) is a slightly newer but very similar test, but may detect HIV antibodies somewhat earlier (95% in 28 days, essentially 100% in 90 days.

In brief: ELISA - initial test

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Pathology

Please forgive me and the other physicians if our answers to your previous questions were not clear.

Dr. Jack Hinkle