How can I forgive my mom for being emotionally and verbally abusive to me throughout my childhood?

Dr. James Cunnar

In brief: You've started to

You should be very proud of yourself for beginning the pursuit of forgiveness.
This is a big step. Each situation is different, but you should try to objectively look at the situation. There may be circumstances in your mom's life which made her behave the way she did. "walking in her shoes" might give you a different perspective, which should help as you work through this challenging process.

In brief: You've started to

Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. James Cunnar

In brief: Why bother

You can still love her as the person who gave you life without wanting to be her friend.
If she is willing to do penance and work her way back into your life, fine.You do not have to accept her abusive actions as absolved by a blood tie. If she remains an abusive and negative person,accept that that is who she is and rise above it.But limit your exposure and that of your kids.

In brief: Why bother

Dr. Cindy Juster