When you have a mitral valve prolapse what causes mitral valve regurgitation? How can you prevent from it happening

You can't prevent. Mitral valve prolapse describes the way the leaflets of the mitral valve close. With mvp the stresses in the mv are altered making it susceptible to injury. This is what leads to regurge. There's nothing you can do to change the stresses in the mv. However, most people do not progress to significant regurge. Also, the majority of mitral regurge due to prolapse can be repaired minimally invasively.
Mitral regurgitation. Prolapse prevent two leaflets from coming together during heart beat thereby causing leak. There is a trend for early surgical treatment provided the surgeon can repair and not replace the valve. The leaflet tissue usually lack the strength and you cannot prevent mitral regurgitation.