I was abused as a child could it be causing my health problems now?

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

Absolutely. I see quite a few folks who were abused as children come to me with emotional problems (anger, post traumatic stress disorder, etc).
But there may be some physical repercussions - sexually transmitted disease, rectal/vaginal tears/wounds, broken bones, etc. It will all depend on what type of abuse you experienced.

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Child abuse

Suffering from child abuse can cause many problems and illness in later life due to the devastating nature of the abuse.
Usually professional help is required to get well. Talk to your doctor and get referred to a psychologist that can help you. Seek out support groups, also faith group support. Read books and listen to cds concerning this subject. Talk to your trusted friends.

In brief: Child abuse

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine