If a person has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy & the heart suddenly stops, would a defibrillator get the heart started again? Will they need transplant?

Hypertrophic. in most cases defibrillator should be able to restart it provided that it is done immediately, transplant is needed more rarely.
Not applicable. If the heart stops, this is termed asystole, and defibrillation (shock) is not used when heart is in asystole (no matter the condition). If the heart goes into an arrhythmia (abnormal rhythm) that causes critically low blood pressure, then defibrillation can be used to possibly restart the heart. Heart transplant is indicated for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with refractory heart failure.