In an adenoidectomy of a child what are the possibilities of needing a blood tranfusion during surgery?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Near to zero

Although it is theoretically possible in the case of unsuspected bleeding disorders or really botched surgery, in my 26 years of ENT i've never heard of a case.

In brief: Near to zero

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Minimal

If you are seeing a reputable ENT physician, are getting care in a reputable hospital or surgery center ? Using a reputable anesthesiologist, the risk is minimal.
Proper screening and examination and appropriate testing for bleeding disorders ? A thorough review of medications being taken should be done. Ask questions and seek a second opinion as needed or if unsure. Ask how many have occured?

In brief: Minimal

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Katharine Cox
Agree infrequent in the best setting. Ask your ENT provider. Tonsillectomy usually causes more bleeding.
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery