Benefits of the selective beta blocker toprol (metoprolol) for heart failure/ cardiomyopathy?

Reverses Ht Failure. Toprol xl (specifically that formulation, not metoprolol tartrate) and Carvedilol (generic or Coreg (carvedilol) brand name) have been shown in large, well controlled clinical trials to slow and sometimes reverse the damage of heart failure. They operate by blocking a malfunctioning feedback loop of hormones and signaling molecules, ultimately by blocking the effect of adrenaline on the heart. Good question!