The barium enema test is very rough for me. Do I have a right to a colonoskopy instead? Do they have the right to deny my operation if I deny the be?

Dr. Joshua Katz
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Colonoscopy

In most cases colonoscopy is better than barium enema.
Ask your physician why this test is being ordered instead of a colonoscopy.

In brief: Colonoscopy

Dr. Joshua Katz
Dr. Joshua Katz
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen

In brief: Perhaps

Generally speaking a colonscopy is a better examination, since if you find something (a growth) it can be biopsied or totally removed at that time.
Yes, the surgeon wants to know what he is dealing with. And he can deny a operation if you have an inadequate work-up leading up to the surgery. If you have anesthesia sedation, the colonoscopy should be very well tolerated.

In brief: Perhaps

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Arie Pelta
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Maybe

Depends why doing a be.
Usually colonoscopy is better modality. If looking for anastomotic leak then it's needed to prevent a post op leak. Need more information to answer this question. Be not good for cancer or polyp screen/prevention, colonoscopy is gold standard in prevention.

In brief: Maybe

Depends why doing a be.
Dr. Arie Pelta
Dr. Arie Pelta
Dr. Joshua Katz
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Colonoscopy

In brief: Colonoscopy

Dr. Joshua Katz
Dr. Joshua Katz
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery