The barium enema test is very rough for me. Do I have a right to a colonoskopy instead? Do they have the right to deny my operation if I deny the be?

Dr. Joshua Katz
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Colonoscopy
In most cases colonoscopy is better than barium enema.
Ask your physician why this test is being ordered instead of a colonoscopy.

In brief: Colonoscopy
Dr. Joshua Katz
Dr. Joshua Katz
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
In brief: Perhaps
Generally speaking a colonscopy is a better examination, since if you find something (a growth) it can be biopsied or totally removed at that time.
Yes, the surgeon wants to know what he is dealing with. And he can deny a operation if you have an inadequate work-up leading up to the surgery. If you have anesthesia sedation, the colonoscopy should be very well tolerated.

In brief: Perhaps
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Arie Pelta
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Maybe
Depends why doing a be.
Usually colonoscopy is better modality. If looking for anastomotic leak then it's needed to prevent a post op leak. Need more information to answer this question. Be not good for cancer or polyp screen/prevention, colonoscopy is gold standard in prevention.

In brief: Maybe
Depends why doing a be.
Dr. Arie Pelta
Dr. Arie Pelta
Dr. Joshua Katz
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Colonoscopy

In brief: Colonoscopy
Dr. Joshua Katz
Dr. Joshua Katz
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery