I'm young and active. Is surgery a better option than pt for 6/10 low back pain?

Dr. Cornelia Franz
In brief: No
Technically surgery is never the better option.
..Unless there is urgent nerve injury as in a herniated disc, tumor or accident. Acupuncture can help immensely as can physical therapy, proper body mechanics, good diet, etc. I have seen patients with a 9/10 back pain have relief to 2/10 in one hour from acupuncture. Proper stretching is also a must.

In brief: No
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Sports Medicine
In brief: Never a first choice
Ueas your low back pain is caused by a problem which is a surgical emergency, surgery should never be a first choice.
Your body has an inherent ability to heal. Let it. If conservative treatment (pt, home exercise, nsaid, ice/heat, activity modification) fail, the surgery will still be there waiting. Talk to your doc about the best options.

In brief: Never a first choice
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Dr. Albert Pizzo
In brief: Back pain
Depends completely on the cause of the pain.
In general the conservative non-surgical approach is preferred.

In brief: Back pain
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery