I have an incisional hernia in my abdomen. I've already had several repaired. Is there anything that i can do to keep it from strangulating?

Dr. J. Roth
Surgery

In brief: Recurrent hernia

Recurrent incisonal hernias are a challenge.
Risks for re-recurrence are related to overall health. Smokers and overweight patients have the highest risk of recurrence. An abdominal binder may be worn to help hold the hernias in place throughout the day to prevent incarceration and strangulation. If you experience pain, you should lay down and attempt to reduce the hernia.

In brief: Recurrent hernia

Dr. J. Roth
Dr. J. Roth

In brief: Always a risk

Abdominal wall defects are always a risk for incarceration & strangulation.
First if you are over weight , reduce your weight, ware an abdominal binder, try to eat small meals and don't get constipated, if these measures fail and you no choice but surgical repair.

In brief: Always a risk

Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery