Picked my scabs on my chin and on my upper lip. What do I do to get the pink skin to go away and prevent scarring?

Dr. Jason Bloom
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Normal early on

The pink skin this early on in the healing process is absolutely normal.
It is the body's way of healing the area where the scabs were. Give it some time, even a few months, for the redness to improve. I would recommend keeping the area moist with an ointment like aquaphor to prevent scarring in the area. Also, if the redness persists, non-invasive pulsed dye laser can remove redness.

In brief: Normal early on

Dr. Jason Bloom
Dr. Jason Bloom
Dr. Anthony Corrado
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Wound healing

By removing the scabs on your chin and upper lip you will delay the wound healing cycle.
The pink skin you are referring to is new skin which is being laid down to repair your wounds. The erythema (pink color) of the tissue will disappear over the course of the next several months. If you are concerned i would suggest consulting your physician for possible scar treatment solutions.

In brief: Wound healing

Dr. Anthony Corrado
Dr. Anthony Corrado