I'm starting immunotherapy shots, and I have chronic neck & shoulder pain. So can I get the shots somewhere other than the arm?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Try a saline shot

Ask the allergist to administer a subcutaneous injection of saline into the area of the upper arm where you will be receiving immunotherapy.
You can then assess whether such injections will add to your chronic neck & shoulder pain. I rather suspect that they won't. Thigh injections are possible but they are inconvenient and some would say a little riskier than upper arm injections.

In brief: Try a saline shot

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Allen Fein

In brief: Allergy shot sites

The important thing in allergy shots is the depth of the injection: subcutaneous.
I would be comfortable in giving you the shot into your thigh's subcutaneous tissue. The forearm's subcutaneous tissue is thin, so that would not be a good location, as the shot might end up too deep, in the muscle. The shot site needs the usual 20 minute inspection after the shot. Good luck!

In brief: Allergy shot sites

Dr. Allen Fein
Dr. Allen Fein
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine