Why are my jaw muscles suddenly going tense?

Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Could be stress

In today's society, many people are finding themselves under more and more stress.
The body often reacts to this by clenching or grinding the teeth. Since the muscles of the jaw are like any other muscle, the more they get 'worked', the larger and more powerful they can become. This will lead to more tension, force, and possible pain and joint problems.

In brief: Could be stress

Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dr. James Courey
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Likey TMJ disorder

It sounds like you are experiencing temporomadibular joint disorder. This disorder can come and go throughout a lifetime or become constant.
Signs of tmd are pain in the jaw, ear aches, headaches, popping and clicking, and can cause your jaw to lock. This condition is usually brought on by stress, however can develop overtime if your dental bite is not properly aligned. I suggest a prosthodontist.

In brief: Likey TMJ disorder

Dr. James Courey
Dr. James Courey
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Stress, TMD

Could be clench/grind your teeth secondary to stress.
Can lead to TMJ problem. The time of day you notice this is important. If you wake up with tense jaw muscles, likely nocturnal bruxism. If daytime, then during the day. "Teeth apart, lips together" when not chewing or talking.

In brief: Stress, TMD

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. William Forsythe