What brands of over-the-counter creams are most helpful, or most recommended by doctors, for dry skin eczema?

Ceramide creams. The molecular defect in eczema skin is in the proper generation of barriers. Ceramides are found to be deficient in eczema skin. In addition to topical steroids, I generally recommend applying a ceramide containing cream (cerave or cetaphil restoraderm) first, and then 'seal' it on top with a more moisturizing lotion such as eucerin original lotion, or aquaphor if you are very dry.
Depends. For true eczema, a steroid cream such as Cortaid 10 (hydrocortisone 1%) can be effective. Dryness, however, can be treated with multiple different creams. Eucerin and lubriderm are two effective emollients for dry skin conditions. I recommend wetting the skin first, patting it dry (but not completely dry), then putting on the eucerin or lubriderm. See you doctor, however, if not improving.