Why should I get choline and betaine in my diet during pregnancy?

In brief: ??

Just eat a balanced diet of protein, fat, and carbs.
This is a new one on me.

In brief: ??

This is a new one on me.
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Carline Louis-Jacques
Both, with folic acid are recommended for healthy brain development for the baby & for the prevention of neural tube defects. Food sources of betaine (wheat bran, fresh veggies like beet), choline ( beef, eggs, salmon) & folate ( or vit B9- dried beans/peas, dark green veggies) are helpful.
Dr. Su Fairchild
Integrative Medicine

In brief: Methylation

Choline is synthesized from methonine and serine and is also present in the diet.
It is the precursor of acetylcholine, phosphatidylcholine, sphingomyelin, platelet activating factor, and sphingosylphosphorylcholine. It functions as a methyl group donor, and is a precursor for betaine, which is also a methyl group donor. Methylation is a critical function.

In brief: Methylation

Dr. Su Fairchild
Dr. Su Fairchild
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham