My jaw keeps popping and getting stuck, should I be worried?

Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

If you are experiencing chronic popping of your jaw and getting stuck, you should have some concerns about future problems.
You need to have a thorough evaluation with the appropriate studies to determine the cause of the popping and locking of the jaw. The recommended treatment will depend on the results of the clinical exam and additional studies performed.

Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Daniel Quon

In brief: Maybe

It may get stuck permanently if it is not treated.
There are a number of non surgical ways to treat this condition and i would suggest seeing a dentist who specializes in treating the tmj. Check www.Aaop, org or www.Aacfp.Org for a dentist in your area. Treatment rarely involves extensive dental care or surgery.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. John Van der Werff
Dr. John Van der Werff