Why does caffeine make me sleepy instead of awake?

In brief: It shouldn't
Caffeine is a stimulant, so it alone should not make a person feel more sleepy.
Often, there are other ingredients in a caffeinated drink, and many people eat snacks or meals while drinking caffeinated drinks. Maybe the other foods and ingredients are the cause of one's drowsiness. Occasionally, people have unusual reactions to drugs & compounds. Some experimentation can help figure things out.

In brief: It shouldn't
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: ? ADHD
When people tell me that stimulants make them sleepy (and often that sedatives speed them up), the first thing i think of is attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (adhd).
If there are other signs of this - difficulty keeping more than one task firmly in your mind, problems with attention span, learning difficulties - i would talk to your doctor about it.

In brief: ? ADHD
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Eric Weisman