Why do I need an STD test in pregnancy?

Prevent baby infectn. There are some std's that can pass directly into baby during pregnancy & cause disease, birth defects, or miscarriage. Some can be passively acquired during labor & result in disease in the newborn including eye infections, encephalitis, and pneumonia. Testing during pregnancy allows the process to be treated & problems avoided where possible.
Helps baby. Syphilis, chlamydia, HIV are a few of the std tests that are done on pregnant women. They are done because there are steps that can be taken to keep the baby from getting sick from these infections.