Can the bacteria which cause septic shock live outside the body? Or can the septic shock be a result of deliberate poisoning?

Dr. Gregory Tichenor
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Yes and yes but...

Septic shock is the body's response to severe infection.
It can be caused my many different types of bacteria and infections such as pneumonia, kidney infections, or abdominal infections. While septic shock could be induced deliberately, it would not be easy to do especially in an otherwise healthy person.

In brief: Yes and yes but...

Dr. Gregory Tichenor
Dr. Gregory Tichenor
Pathology

In brief: Yes to both

Staphylococci do live outside the body and it is feasible to infect oneself if one were so determined and had access to bacterial stock.

In brief: Yes to both

Dr. Rashed Hasan
Board Certified, Pediatrics - Critical Care