Why can't I sleep without tv on, else my mind race through random thoughts, is this normal?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Maybe

The problem with sleeping with a tv on is that it can promote poor sleep hygeine.
Watching tv can promote stimulating thought. Further the light from the tv may affect the natural production of melatonin which is highly affected by light. I would suggest taking 30-45 minutes to "calm yourself down" before actually going to bed. Reading, meditating, relaxing before bed are the best ways to start.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Karen Shackelford
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Sleep hygiene

You describe your thoughts as racing - is this only at night? Are you under stress or is this your norm? Start by changing your habits- no tv in the bedroom, no work piled on you dresser - just a tranquil room. Buy a machine that makes various background noises like the sea, rainfall, etc.
A lot of people use these with success. Consider seeing your doctor to discuss racing thoughts and keep a log.

In brief: Sleep hygiene

Dr. Karen Shackelford
Dr. Karen Shackelford
Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Sleep

Yes you are normal.
Many people use the tv, radio or music to put themselves to sleep, as opposed to many who prefer a quiet dark room.

In brief: Sleep

Yes you are normal.
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Eric Weisman