Why are doctors reluctant to diagnose gout?

Dr. Shaym Puppala

In brief: We are not, usually.

Gout can mimic a number of other diseases including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and infected joint (an emergency).
While gout classically affects the big toe, it can affect other joints or many joints at once. Labs/exam may not always be enough to diagnose. The most accurate way to diagnose gout is to collect fluid from the joint and analyze it under a certain type of microscope.

In brief: We are not, usually.

Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Not reluctant

Doctors are usually not reluctant as the more accurate the diagnosis, the more effective the treatment.
Many different types of doctors can diagnose gout, but if a specialist is needed, see a rheumatologist.

In brief: Not reluctant

Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Pierre Moeser

In brief: REALLY?

I didn't think we were reluctant.

In brief: REALLY?

I didn't think we were reluctant.
Dr. Darrell Latva
Dr. Darrell Latva