What is synkinesia? What is the relationship between this & adhd?

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni

In brief: Involuntary movement

In dyskinesia, when one muscle is moved, there is involuntary movement of another muscle.
This sometimes happens in severe bell palsy. Some medicines used for adhd (such as ritalin) list dyskinesia as a side effect.

In brief: Involuntary movement

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
2 comments
Dr. Carla Enriquez
See Above.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
I inadvertently agreed with this posting. Actually, I disagree. See my Health Tips on ADHD
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: A neurologic sign

Synkinesia means"move together." normal in the immature nervous system of an infant/young child.
When it persists, it's an invaluable diagnostic sign for adhd. No adhd medication causes synkinesia. The answer above is defining dyskinesia, which means "bad movements." here's one of 100's of articles on the subject: dev med child neurol. 2006;48:165–169; doi:10.1017/s001216220600375.

In brief: A neurologic sign

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Cindy Juster