When I go to the bathroom, my lower right abdomen hurts. Why is this happening? Is it normal?

Dr. Slade Suchecki

In brief: Consider

Consider adding fiber to diet and/ or stool softener.
Also drink plenty of fluids. If you are over 50, screening colonoscopy is warranted - sooner if family hx. There are conditions such as diverticular dz or anatomic anomalies to consider, so if it persists or worsens, i agree it should be evaluated further.

In brief: Consider

Dr. Slade Suchecki
Dr. Slade Suchecki
Dr. Shaym Puppala

In brief: Possibly appendix

Pain in the right lower abdomen always raises the question of appendicitis (an emergency), particularly with fever.
There are numerous other causes of pain in that area, some of which are inflammation of the ileum (eg. Crohn's disease), or occasionally diverticulitis.Abdominal pain requires a careful history and physical exam, and deserves evaluation in clinic or (if fever or pain is severe), in er.

In brief: Possibly appendix

Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: Not uncommon

It may be simply a spasm as your bowels are moving, inotherwords not to worry.
Of course, if pain is persistent or associated with fever, chills, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, etc, then it is not just a simple spasm. Good bowel hygiene and regularity without straining or pain includes: drink lots of water, take daily walks, maintain healthy weight (my usual 3 w's).

In brief: Not uncommon

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: Not uncommon

In brief: Not uncommon

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine