I have a sore throat and a stuffy nose and sore muscles, do I have a cold or the flu? It is cold outside

Dr. Ronda Alexander
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Weather not reason

You can get ill with the flu at any time of the year, not just in winter. Typically, colds and flu are different since the flu will give you the body aches and chills more strongly than a cold.
Both are caused by viruses so antibiotics don't help!

In brief: Weather not reason

Dr. Ronda Alexander
Dr. Ronda Alexander
Dr. David Wyatt

In brief: Very similar symptom

"colds" and "flu"s are both viral infections that have very similar symptoms as you described - both cause stuffy nose and sore throat and muscles and even fevers.
Both should also resolve in 2-5 days. The "flu" that the flu shot prevents is "influenza a or b" - which is much more aggressive - causing sudden onset of very high fevers and muscle aches to the point of unable to get out of bed...

In brief: Very similar symptom

Dr. David Wyatt
Dr. David Wyatt
Dr. Adam Smith